Conventional wisdom has always suggested that concrete floors are superior construction when it comes to mezzanine floors
. A popular choice for new construction by many general contractors, concrete is a proven flooring material offering both durability and longevity. Concrete construction, however, comes at a cost, a very high cost.
What if there was a more cost effective alternative to concrete flooring with many of the same benefits? Thankfully, this is where ResinDek® can be introduced to a project. It is a high density, composite flooring material recommended for mezzanines requiring a solid floor subject to heavy loads from the use of pallet jacks, carts, or dollies. ResinDek® is typically installed over 20-gauge corrugated steel decking and has a load capacity of up to 8,000 lbs. It has an acryseal surface, which is not only skid-resistant, but also easy to clean.
While those in the material handling industry have been integrating ResinDek® in free standing platforms and pick modules since the 1990s, it has not widely been seen as a comparable substitute to concrete flooring, especially in new building construction. However, one should ask the question, why not?
ResinDek® Versus Concrete
1. ResinDek® is much lighter than concrete. Consequently, a large amount of steel can most likely be removed from the mezzanine framing design. In addition, it’s possible that expensive footings can be eliminated resulting in significant savings.
2. ResinDek® is also more ergonomic, cleanable, and light reflective than concrete. Multiple studies have shown that operators prefer working on ResinDek® surfaces than concrete.
3. When it comes to maintenance, ResinDek® offers tremendous advantages over concrete. Although a very durable construction material, when concrete is scorn (potentially by a rusty nail sticking out of a pallet) there is really not much that can been done. However, ResinDek® panels can both be repaired and/or easily replaced. Consequently, ResinDek® flooring will stay in pristine condition much longer than concrete flooring.
[caption id="attachment_11312" align="aligncenter" width="999"]
Graph courtesy of ResinDek®[/caption]
4. ResinDek® comes with a standard 10-year product warranty. One thing that is certain about concrete is that it will crack. This does not occur with ResinDek® as it is extremely strong, supporting loads up to 8,000 lbs.
5. ResinDek® panels consist of recycled content and are eligible for LEED credits.
If you are considering a mezzanine project
, I would encourage you to consider ResinDek®. Bastian Solutions has installed thousands of these floors, and our team of experts is ready to help you. Please contact us with questions.
No comments have been posted to this Blog Post
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published.
Thank you for your comment.