Many material handling projects
today include high tech "wizardry" such as robots
, Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (ASRS)
, or Automated Guided Vehicles (AGV)
. These types of equipment all have their place and serve their function well; however, we can't lose sight of the basic, less heralded, building blocks of a great system.
One of these building blocks is a mezzanine
. Adding a mezzanine to a project is an inexpensive way to efficiently utilize the upper areas of a building that may otherwise go unused. With a low cost per square foot, a mezzanine with one or more levels can increase workspace, compress the overall footprint
of a cell, and free valuable floor space for other uses.
The following requirements for building a mezzanine should be considered in each project:
Early planning for the above items is important for three reasons:
- What shape, size, and height are needed
- What are the loading requirements by area
- Where is access required for people and consumables
- Where should the two or more Egress paths be placed
- Where will lighting and fire protection be located
- Receiving design approval from the local inspector can add considerable time
- Manufacturing lead times for mezzanines can stretch from several weeks to several months
- The mezzanine must be erected before anything can be placed on it or under it
Work closely with the customer to understand his/her floor. The flooring material, thickness, reinforcement, and soil compaction all combine to determine the floor-loading capacity. Seek the help of a qualified civil engineer to study the location and provide recommendations.
Careful planning and teamwork will yield a mezzanine
that meets the function, financials, and timing of your next project!
Have a question about mezzanine design or simply want more information? Leave a comment below or contact us!
Drum Handling says:
8/28/2018 10:07 AM
Hi Chris, Thanks for sharing good post. Drum Handling equipments ave very useful to perform various drum operations.
8/28/2018 10:07 AM
Easylift Equipment is a leading material handling equipment provider. We manufacture drum, barrel and roll handling equipments through out USA and abroad.
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published.
Thank you for your comment.